I know, I know but in my defense I was sitting here watching an interview with that “50 Shades of Grey” guy and well that can put thoughts into anyone’s head. Did you know he was married? Oh well I digress.
Let’s get to it. Welcome to Planner University or Planner U.
I debated long and hard about what would be the first posting here and believe me it was a tough decision. I mean should we start with which planner to get or which style or what is planning. That last one almost won out but then I thought about it and figured you must know what planning is or else why would you be here. Now that doesn’t mean that it might not pop up later only that it doesn’t get the dubious honor of being first. That honor starts right here with this post.
See I started thinking and I realized if you were going to start at the beginning then you might need a few tips. You might need someone to come and hold your hand and talk you down off the sticker ladder or out of the washi aisle. When you are starting out you need advice. You need that person that is going to stop you from having to figure out a way to write off Etsy as a business expense or a donation on your taxes because the amount rivals half your yearly income. Therefore we are starting with some of the best advice I have found in the planner community.
- YOUR PLANNER IS FOR YOU & THE ULTIMATE GOAL IS TO HELP YOU BE ORGANISED. This I think might be the best of the best. So many times we get caught up in the way we see others planning. We look at their planners or their videos and we want to be just like that. Yet each of us are different and our lives are different. So why do we think that our planners should be the same. You bought that planner not just because it looked good but because you wanted to get a handle on your life. You wanted to keep things from falling through the cracks. Therefore make sure that it is working for you because that is all that matters.
- IT DOESN’T HAVE TO COST A FORTUNE. Again we get so involved in the look that we sometimes forget the purpose. Of course it is amazing to get new stickers or weekly sets but don’t be afraid to go simple in the beginning or even now. Don’t be afraid to check out dollar bins in different stores or look around your craft room to see what you might have that will work. You don’t need to start right out the gate with every sticker on Etsy or every washi Michael’s carries. Even if you have been planning for years you can still find deals that will make you want to jump up and down like a fan chick at a boy band concert(One Direction anyone?). The point is don’t break the bank trying to keep up with the Jones’s.
- TAKE THE TIME TO FIND YOUR GROOVE. Without argument young Michael Jackson was killing it. Those beginning songs with the Jackson 5 were, are, and will forever be classic. However when he came out with Thriller that was a WHOLE NEW LEVEL!! My point is that even some of the greats need time to come into their own. Don’t worry that your first few spreads might not be what you thought they would be or that you’ve had your planner for months and you still aren’t sure exactly how to use it. That is okay because you are learning. It takes time to figure it out and find what works for you. In the meantime, use those spreads or weeks to mark what you love and disregard what don’t. Let your groove find you and you will be dancing in no time.
- DON’T LET A SPREAD YOU THOUGHT YOU’D LOVE BUT DIDN’T GET YOU DOWN. We have all been there. You get that kit in the mail or you plan out exactly what you think you want to do. Maybe you saved those stickers especially for this one week and when you get in there and put them down you feel like a balloon that has lost it air. It’s like that rollercoaster ride that you hate but keep getting on because you think this time it will be better. Look, doll, it happens. Sometimes things just don’t work and that is okay. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Let it sit, let it get you through the things you need to do that week, and let yourself figure out why it doesn’t work for you. It could be that you miss your white space or that you felt overwhelmed by the pressure of the week. Relax and move on to next week. As the song goes, it’s only a day away.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY-PLAY!! While we all got into this to keep organized and to run our lives or our business let’s keep it real, this is fun :). It’s like someone set an extra arm on the clock and for a few hours in the day, week, month it reverses and we get to travel back to our elementary school days when we had no worries. We could sit with our friends and draw or write our name a hundred different ways with a thousand different pens or colors. We could put stamps or stickers on our jeans, shoes, shirts, or skateboards. We could mark your world and make it standout as ours. We could show our style, our personality, our love in our own way. At the end of the day or week that is what this is about. Being you and having fun while doing it.
Well that is it my Lovies. The intro and beginning to PlannerU. I hope that this was helpful for you whether you are a beginner or have been planning for awhile. It is always good to go back to the basics and I personally find that I learn a little something new each and every time.
Like with all classes the Q&A is just starting.
If you have any questions or would like to add something to the conversation then be sure to comment below. Look forward to seeing you next class.